Sunday, March 1, 2009

Cutler's speech

(this really is for me)
After doing the post you will read next, I decided I needed to post about this. And I also remembered that I never did a post on it back when we were worried about it.
For what felt like forever Cutler didn't say much, other than 'na', and the usual baby jibber jabber. When I took him to the dr. for his 2 yr. check up he asked me how his speech was. I told him he said about 10-15 words. The dr. told me he should be saying about 50 words and putting 2-3 words together. He gave me a referral to have some speech therapy done. I went home and talked to Colby about it. After hearing the dr. tell me that I realized Cutler was way behind and it started to really worry me. Later that week I called and set up a speech therapist to come to the house and 'test' him. Literally the next week, before she came, Cutler started saying about 10 new understandable words. I thought about cancelling the therapy but decided that since it was free we would still do it just to see what they said. The whole time she was here I kept thinking the things she were doing were pointless. And she kept telling me to quit asking him questions, but to tell him what he wanted. For example, I would ask him what he wanted to drink, milk or juice? He would say 'na' and point. She told me to say, you want juice to drink. And get him the juice. That way he can say yes or no. But I was frustrated because he could tell me yes or no, I wanted him to say milk or juice.
So needless to say I didn't take her up on any more sessions. I didn't like her way of teaching.

Now Cutler is a little jabber-mouth. And we love it! He cracks me up every day. And it's not really the words he says, but the way he says them that just makes us all laugh. He really has a funny personality. Here are some of the things he says that crack us up: (don't forget he has a lisp)

after a burp - "uuuuuh, wha ya say? xuse me."
he calls noah and himself 'beday' - (buddy)
When you say his name he used to answer - yes? Now he just says - what!? what mama? (remember it's how he says things that is so funny)
he sings (tries) the songs to all the cartoons he watches.

Ok, so now that I'm writing this I realize I can't really remember all the things he says, and what I did write you'll all think are so stupid. I'm going to have to be better about writing them down. But the part that I love the most is that he tries to say words. Before if you asked him to say something and he didn't know how he wouldn't even try. Or he would just say 'na'.

So keep in mind when you read my next post, the things he says are a major milestone for us. All of our family will tell you he has come such a long way and can talk really well compared to 3 months ago.

5 comments:

susiefarns said...

I just think boys don't talk as soon. Jace was the same way. Jace only said "na" until we moved into my mom and dad's house when ours was being built, then he starting with sentences. I just think all of the sudden something clicks.

Lindsey R said...

Cutler reminds me so much of my little Colby. He says the same things and took him awhile to start saying lots of words too. Now I can actually understand most of what he saying.

stefanie said...

Way to go Sarg! I love the sound of his gruff little voice...he cracks me up!!

Makayla & Cory Curtis said...

I love the way he talks. It is so dang cute. He has come along way in such a short amount of time.

Sherie said...

Sarge..you are a little jabber-jaw and this Gramma can totally understand you!!