Saturday, February 28, 2009

Potty training

Just an update on potty training. For those of you who are care...it is NOT coming along. I try my hardest to take him every 20-30 minutes, but with a baby it's hard to do that sometimes. He goes every time we put him on the potty, sometimes it's a fight, but he'll go. He gets super excited when he's done. He doesn't require a treat, just a high five, a hug, a kiss, a "Yeah", and a "ta-da". Pretty easy. I ask him about every 5 minutes if he pottied in his pants. He'll answer "Nope mama. Dry. See?" ('see' is his new favorite word/question) But when he has an accident it doesn't really bother him. And he'll even answer "Yup, wet. Yuck. Wet mama." or "pooped mama. all done, poop" And after about the 3rd accident I go back to a diaper. I get so frustrated and tired of cleaning up messes. And by that time he'll say he wants a diaper on. I'm pretty sure he's not ready, but I am. I don't love changing 2 bums all day, and I definitely don't love changing his stinky poop! I'm afraid to stop because then we start completely over later on, but I hate that he's not interested. If you have some good advice, please share. But trust me, I feel like I've made as good of an effort as I did with Noah. I'm not doing anything different. I just wonder if one day he'll wake up and tell me he doesn't want a diaper and he'll potty on the toilet. Does that really happen?

5 comments:

susiefarns said...

I don't know if you want another comment from me, but I didn't potty train Jace until he was 3 and it took me 2 weeks and we were done. He didn't even ever wear a pull-up to bed. Sydney recently pooped in the potty for the first time last week and I just really don't want to potty train yet. I think I would rather clean a poopy diaper then out of her pants and off the floor.

Lindsey R said...

I so do not look forward to this...at all! They say boys are harder but changing 2 bums a day has gotta be hard.

Phill, Allie, and kids said...

So to answer your question, yes it does happen. Cuz it happened with us. I didn't push potty training at all because I knew that they won't do it until they are ready. So I could fight it for 6 months or wait until he's ready and have it be a piece of cake. 1 month before Carson turned 3 he just one day wouldn't let me put a diaper on him. He only had like 3 accidents over a few days and that was it. It was a total piece of cake. I say wait til he's ready. I know it's frustrating buying and changing 2 sets of diapers, but it's not worth the frustration. Good luck!

stefanie said...

I hate potty training! It was so different training Jones than it was training Smith. I think you are smart to put it on hold until HE decides he's ready. I think that's the key...they have to decide that they want to!

Sherie said...

Boy's and Potty training?...um, not in my vocabulary....but I think everyone is right when they say...he'll do it when he's ready.