Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Prayers please


My dad would kill me if he knew I was putting this on here. And he will kill me when he finds out. He isn't one for much attention.

About a year and a half ago he went in for some surgery on his heart. When they got in there, the surgeon punctured the sack around his heart and couldn't finish the surgery. If anything has ever scared my dad, this was it. He didn't really let us know it, but he was nervous. The dr. told him that he really needed this surgery, but that he would need to go up north to have it done.

He has put it off until now, because the dr.'s have told him he will have a heart attack. The time has come, and we are taking him up north tomorrow to have the surgery on Thursday. They say that if everything goes well, he will be able to come home on Friday. Sounds pretty quick to me, but I guess they know what they're talking about.

This is what he has: Ventricular tachycardia (V-tach). A rapid heart rhythm originating from the lower chambers (or ventricles) of the heart. The rapid rate prevents the heart from filling adequately with blood; therefore, less blood is able to pump through the body. This can be a serious arrhythmia, especially in people with heart disease.

Basically, he will just be sitting around, or even asleep in the middle of the night, and his heart will start racing. Like he just got done running a marathon. And sometimes it takes hours to slow down. Can you imagine how tired he is all the time? They say this surgery will help that.

Like I said before, he doesn't like attention, and he doesn't like to let us know when he is sick, or scared, or nervous. The other night we had him come over to help Colby fix something and he sat and talked with us for a little while and let us know he is nervous. For me, having him actually admit that scared me. I know he's got to be worried about things, and he likes to put on a 'tuff front', so when he lets me know he's scared, it freaks me out. Both of my parents feel really good about this dr., so that helps, but I'm still a little nervous.

Please, for those of you who know my dad, keep him in your prayers. He needs them right now.

9 comments:

Morgan said...

I am so glad you posted this to let us know. I love your dad!! Our prayers are with him and all of you! Best of luck!

Tiffany said...

Let us know please!!! I keep him in my prayers!

the johansen's said...

We will keep him in your prayers. Do you know who is doing the surgery? My Grandma just had heart surgery to replace a valve a week ago at the U hospital and she is doing so much better! Everything weill be ok, we were all really scared for her surgery, but she is recovering great!

Sherie said...

We will keep your Dad in our prayers..and your Mom and you too Tiffany..:) ...you know that we are here to help out any way we can. Your Dad is a strong man and will come out of this and only get stronger.

stefanie said...

Tiff, I had no idea! We'll be praying for sure...medicine is amazing, it's crazy the things they can do now! Everything will be fine!

Jenny said...

Wow, I did not know that. I am sorry to hear he has been having a rough year. Everything will be fine I am sure. We will definitely keep him and his family in our prayers!

Lindsey R said...

Oh Tiff, your dad is such a sweet man! I will be thinking of him and your family!

Makayla & Cory Curtis said...

I am so glad you posted this. I have been thinking about it but I will let you have the rath of dad when he is HOME and BETTER.

tammylozano said...

TIFFANY ARE PRAYERS HAVE BEEN ANSWERED I HEARD EVERYTHING WENT WELL HOPE HE IS HOME SOON!!!!