Monday, May 12, 2008

Drum roll please....

I'm sure you've all been dying to know what happened over the weekend. So here's the update! It's pretty long, but I had to.
Ok, so we just got back from the most amazing trip to Florida! We stayed at this absolutely beautiful hotel, the Gaylord Palms. It was amazing. I only ever left it twice, once to go shopping, once to go over to Downtown Disney with the rest of the group.


When we pulled up to the Hotel, this was out front all roped off but there were so many hand prints on it from everyone wanting to look inside. Obviously the ropes didn't do their job!


We got there late enough Friday that we just got checked in, went and found somewhere super yummy to eat, then just sort of walked around the place. Saturday morning we got up and went to registration, then all the guys went to the opening with Jimmy John. They showed some great footage of Colby and Dave from when they went back there a few weeks ago to interview for all of this. The whole rest of the day and clear into the night people would come up to Colby and tell him what a great job he did. He was a celebrity the whole time! While Colby was in workshops I went to one of the pools and got a killer tan, or I guess I should say burn. After a while of that I went shopping, and on my way back the stupid cab driver totally didn't know where he was supposed to go and we got lost. Anyway, Colby learned a lot during that day and had a great time. That night we all got on a bus and went over to Downtown Disney. We pretty much were on our own to do whatever we wanted. We met up with our whole group and ate at House of Blues.
After dinner Doug treated us all to the most fabulous show I have ever seen, Cirque du Soleil!!! Oh my goodness, do those people have some talent. We had great seats and a great time!

On Sunday morning we got up and went to the breakfast and then over to see Jimmy John speak. Colby then went to more workshops and I went back to the pool. The guest speaker this year was Rusty Wallace. He was a NASCAR driver, and now his son drives the Jimmy John's car, so they had the car there to see also. After the speaker they gave away the Mustang.

The store with the fastest continuous deliveries won it!

For the lunch, oh my holy cow! They had this amazing lunch and also gave away the first Jeep. Colby was assigned a table to sit at so we pretty much knew he was going to win something at these awards. The whole time during the lunch I was just sick to my stomach because I was so nervous. My foot was going a hundred miles an hour, and I barely ate anything. Well, we were totally under the wrong impression of what award Colby was actually up for, so sadly, he didn't win the jeep at the lunch.

After the lunch, I returned to the pool, and Colby went back to workshops. What a vacation for him, eh? That night was the final dinner and awards. It was 'Pool Party' style, and we had a great time. I was introduced to Jimmy John and got to have a picture with him He seriously is so nice, and the face he's making, it's just his face. He's always smiling and happy. Probably drunk, but at least he's a pleasure to be around. Everyone there was pretty much sauced, and some were quite obnoxious. They had 'Heavy Appetizers', and boy were they Heavy. All sorts of kabobs with huge pieces of meat, lobster, crab claws, lamb, oh boy I don't even know what else. I had one kabob and was done. We also knew there were still 2 jeeps and 5 Rolex watches to give away, so I was nervous again. They finally got the program started and when they announced the G.M.'s of the year Jimmy John said "This first guy said he never wants to work for anyone else, and..." I don't even remember what else he said because we knew it was Colby and were too busy watching him and being excited for him!!! Yeah!!! Colby was the first G.M. announced and got a very fancy Rolex watch. It's amazing! **A little history...last year at the convention Colby told his boss' and Jimmy John 'That will be me next year! I'm going to win this!' And he did!!!


After they called his name they showed his video from when he interviewed and it was neat to see all the things he said. It's not a very good picture but, you get the idea.


After the awards, a bunch of us went mini-golfing and had a blast. We played for ice cream, and wouldn't ya know it, Colby & I lost so we had to buy! We had so much fun!!

So really, we had such a great weekend, mini vacation get-a-way, and totally enjoyed ourselves. Thank you so much to all of our family who helped with the boys, and especially to Doug & Dave for letting me be a part of such an amazing event for Colby!! And Congrats honey!! I am so proud of you and all of your hard work, it totally paid off!!
**side note: of course we would have loved to have won the Jeep, but like I said, we were under the wrong impression of what the awards were actually for. Also, Colby is proud of the watch and so am I. For us, a Rolex isn't something we would ever just go out and buy. This way, it's something he has earned and is very proud of. Besides, like I have told many people, the simple fact that he was even nominated, or whatever they do for this, was such an awesome thing! Colby has worked really hard and totally loves his job, and now he has proved it.

22 comments:

The Millers said...

Way to go Colby! We knew you would win. Sounds like you had so much fun! And Tiffany, how nice that you got to be their to see him win!

Sherie said...

Congratulations Colby....I had no doubt that you were a winner! Work isn't any different than life, you give everything 100% and you deserve the recognition. I'm so very proud of your accomplishment. I'm glad that Tiffany was able to be there to see you accept your reward. We love you, and all you do for us too!

Jessica said...

Congrats! Sounds like a great trip. I can now say I know what Jimmy John looks like. :)

Phill, Allie, and kids said...

Way to go Colby (and of course Tiffany). Because we all know that behind every good hardworking man is a good woman! That's awesome!

Makayla & Cory Curtis said...

Yeah!!! Good job Colby we knew you would win you are so good at what you do and you love it. Nice vacation Tiff. I wish I could go to Florida maybe next time you guys go we will all go together.

Morgan said...

That is the coolest thing ever! Congratulations. I am glad you had such a nice time away also, Tiff.

Melanie said...

Way to go! I had to call my mom first thing Monday morning to see if she knew yet, and you guys were still on the plane coming home. Congrats Colby! You're awesome!

Jodi Hansen said...

Tiff...It's so good to catch up with you. I'm so happy for you and your family. You look great and so happy!! It will be fun to keep in touch!

WESTWOOD'S said...

Congrats! That is so awesome. I am so jealous you got to go to Florida-it is one of my favorite vacation spots. I'm glad you had fun.

Elisa said...

What a fun trip! Congrats to Colby, that is awesome.

Haylee said...

CONGRATULATIONS GUYS!! that is such an awesome accomplishment. I never had a doubt in my mind that you wouldn't win, cobls! I feel honored to have worked under the GM of the year. :) haha- GOOD JOB!

I think they should've given me one of those race cars for delivery.. -hahah. wouldn't that have been nice?

I loved reading about your fun weekend. Sounds like you guys had a blast! how fun!

-Haylee

the johansen's said...

Congrats! That's a sweet watch too. Who wouldn't love a Rolex?

Morgan said...

I think this post inspired a dream I had last night. I had a dream that both of our husbands were asked to interview for new jobs (don't know what exactly) in the Dominican Republic, so naturally you and I were able to tag along. They both were offered the job and so we were all excited to be moving to the D.R. for a couple of years and to not be going alone. How does that relate to your post, you ask? I am not sure. Just that the D.R. is very tropical, and gorgeous, and an excellent place to vacation....and I think reading your post gave me the idea to go back someday. Who knows.

Morgan said...

Oh yeah, and as we were leaving the D.R. after the interviews, we were both talking about how scared we were to tell our moms that we were taking the grandkids so far away.

.mel. said...

WaHoo!! Way to go Colby! Dave's pretty jealous of that fancy watch!

The McGraths said...

I'm so FIRED! I am so sorry,my phone was in Jared's car and I just found it today. I am so embarrased! and bummed! I really wanted to see you the kids are better now with just a little bit of a runny nose still. It sounds like you had a great time anyways. You didn't even need me to entertain you. Congrats to Colby that is so exciting. I'm glad you got to get away and enjoy and celebrate one another. I owe you a fun trip to Florida! Please forgive me!

ShEiLa said...

I guess I am almost three days late reading this post, Congratulations on that Rolex though. That sounds like an amazing trip. So happy for you guys. toodles, Sheila

Tiffany said...

WOW! Congrats Colby!!! That is so freakin awesome!

Gretchen said...

Yeah Colby!! How exciting!! It sounds like you guys had a great time! Congrats!!

Jennifer L said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jennifer L said...

Way to go Colby. JJ would not be the same without you. You HAVE done a great job and deserve all the recognition and then some. Sounds like you guys had a great time, I'm so happy for you. That watch will be a great reminder of how it feels to kick butt!

Kaymee said...

Congratulations!!!! Oh my gosh! I can't believe what an amazing vacation that was too!!! they certainly go all out!! how fun! You look great, by the way, Tiff!!