Thursday, August 5, 2010

Disney World - Day 1

We just got back from the best vacation ever. We spent a week in Florida, making a stop at each Disney park, and spending a couple of days on the Ranch visiting my parents.

First stop...
Cheesecake Factory in Las Vegas.

Next stop...
McCarran Airport.
Our first day was actually the night. We took the red eye out there. At first I was excited...thinking the kids would just sleep the whole way. Then I started worrying that they wouldn't sleep at all. Luckily, Lexie & Cutler slept the entire time. Noah had a harder time. I'm pretty sure the excitement was killing him.
Once we got to the airport we had quite a bit of time to kill. How do you entertain 3 children in an airport? We were all a little delirious. Our flight was at 10:30 Vegas time...and it left about 30 - 45 minutes later. So at home it was midnight. Those of us that slept were out just after we got in the air.

We found this kids play area. It lasted about 20 minutes.
Then we rode the moving walkway...a few times.
And spent lots of time watching airplanes.

[Wednesday morning]

We arrived in Orlando just after 6:00 in the morning. Made our way down to the Disney Magical Express and boarded the bus to Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge. Oh. My. Goodness! If we ever go back, I would stay there again for sure. My kids loved it, and I have to admit it was pretty awesome! Our room had a balcony that overlooked the open savannah where animals would graze all day. Each morning, or anytime of the day for that matter we could go outside and see this...
and just to show how close we really were I got part of our railing in the picture.

I was worried that we wouldn't be able to check into our room that early, but they did have one ready...thankfully. We dropped our stuff off, headed down to get some breakfast, then went back to our room and slept for 3 hours. It felt so good to lay down and get some sleep.
This day was my dad's birthday, and we had reservations for dinner in Epcot. Once we got up and ready, we headed to the bus and made our way there.
It was so blasted hot! We had been warned, but I don't think you can prepare yourself for that kind of heat. The humidity was horrible. I'll live in the desert forever just so I don't have to deal with humidity. We didn't get to the park until about 2:30 so all the fast passes were distributed, and the lines were 60 - 90 minutes at least. We did a couple of rides, but spent most of our time in the aquarium by the Finding Nemo ride. Which by the way, is 100 times better there than at Disneyland.
They have all these separate aquariums that have different sea life in them - it's amazing! I loved seeing the seahorses. I've never seen one before in real life, I almost didn't really think they were real. I had to take this picture, and I'm sad it didn't turn out very well.
Waiting for the Talking with Crush show...the kids were loving watching the sharks and stingrays.
After the aquarium Cutler and I rode Soarin'. Noah remembered that he didn't like it in California so he wouldn't ride it. When we came out my parents were there. I was so excited to see them! We gave my dad the best birthday present ever...being there with him! (that's what he said)
We celebrated my dad's birthday at the Garden Grille Restaurant and it turned in a circle while you're eating. Super slow. Like you don't really know you're moving until you watch the floor or walls, but it was cool.

This was Lexie's first encounter with a character, and she wasn't so sure about them. It took her a while each day to warm up to them.
We stayed and watched the fireworks, (which was a good thing because we didn't watch them any other night) then headed back to our rooms. My parents stayed in another hotel and came to the parks with us from Wednesday through Saturday.

1 comment:

Kiesha said...

How fun! I think we ate at the Garden Grill when we went there too! I bet it was soo good to see your parents. They were probably so excited to see the kids.