Friday, August 8, 2008

We finally did it!

We got rid of the binky! I had just had it with the stupid thing, plus it was giving Cutler a rash that I couldn't get rid of. I always thought we would be done with it by the time he turned 1, and here he is almost 2 and still as attached to it as he was a year ago. So almost 2 weeks ago we just cold turkied it. I didn't give him a nap that day so that he would be good and tired for bed - which may have been a mistake. He played in the water almost the whole day, so he was over-tired when it came time to go to bed. He scrame for 45 minutes while I tried to get him to sleep. Just as I was about to let him cry himself to sleep in his bed, he fell a sleep on my shoulder. At one point I did put him in his bed and I left the room, it was so sad. I almost needed to go cry, but I was strong. The next day we did the same thing, and he did pretty good. Definitely didn't cry as long. After that I started naps again during the day, and he has done really well. He'll ask for it and I just tell him it's gone and change the subject. Since we started this process, naptime is definitely harder, and he'll still ask for it every once in a while, but we're done! It's such a relief.

The really stupid thing is Colby & I both liked him to have it, it was just a relaxer for him, obviously. But I think in a way we both kind of miss it. Probably more that Cutler.

5 comments:

Sherie said...

Cutler you are getting sooo BIG... and soon you will be a big brother! Growing up is sometimes so hard to do...you definately are "the Sarge"...I salute YOU!!
YIPEE!!! oh boy...next comes the big boy bed, and potty training !!

Deirdra said...

Good job. This was so hard for us with Izzy. Same story, rash that wouldn't go away, and the dermatologist said it had to go, even though it was just for sleeping. It does make for a few rough days. Way to be tough, it really is just as hard on the parents.

Phill, Allie, and kids said...

Good job! I am already dreading the day we take Hannah's bink away. She loves the thing and as of right now I have no desire to get rid of it. I"m glad things are going good with it though. I'll be going through this before I want to. :(

Tiffany said...

UGH!! Not looking forward to that day!

The Millers said...

Way to go! I know that I am always more attached to the binky than my kids are. It's just so nice to be able to have something you know will calm them right down!