Sunday, October 23, 2011

Deer hunt

If you don't want to see dead animals...
DO NOT LOOK!

This year we put in as a group. So of course we all drew out.
I feel like it's been forever since I've hunted, but being the mom, it's a little harder to just go hunting.
The kids all slept over at gramma Sherie's so we could get up and go super early without completely inconveniencing someone.
Kent, his friend Larry, Colby & I headed up to our spot about 5:00 a.m.
Once we got to the mountain, Colby & I split from Kent & Larry.
We hiked up a little hill, just high enough to be able to see all around us as soon as it got light.
We ended up moving a few times to get the right angle.
At first light, we heard a couple of shots.
We had a seen a few deer, but they were all doe's.
All of a sudden Colby sees a buck. He told me to shoot it, but I couldn't find it in my scope.
We had gone to the shooting range a week before and I forgot to move my power back down.
So he took it!
It took a few shots, and he hit it but it wasn't dying. The dang thing kept getting back up and running.
There were a bunch of doe's around him, and I kept saying to Colby "are you sure you got the buck"?
We finally saw it fall, and waited for it to finish dying before we went over to him.
Meanwhile...another buck comes over the ridge.
Colby saw it first, again, and told me to take it.
I couldn't see horns on it at first but I found him in my scope and figured he was big enough.
He was running so I waited for him to stop. And he just kept coming closer and closer to us.
Like, he was on the same ridge as us, just below us. And he kept coming.
I shot a couple of times, hit him once we think, which is when he turned and went the other way.
I reloaded and waited for him to stop again.
Once he did I took him.
He's not huge, but for my first deer, not bad.


I just have to tell this part...
After I shot mine we waited a few minutes then went over to him. He was closer.
Colby cut his neck to let him bleed out and we left some orange by him so we could find him easy when we came back.
Then we went up to his deer to do the same. We hiked up the hill, and couldn't find him where we thought he was. I started u-turning because I knew he wasn't that far up and found blood.
A puddle here, then some drips, then a puddle, drips...
All of a sudden he jumps up to run, but he couldn't.
He was hurt so bad, but not dead.
Colby hurried and shot him again, right between the eyes.
It broke his skull, which made his antlers break, and popped his eyeball out.
GROSS!!

We finally were able to get a hold of Kent on the radio and he had killed one too!


So first morning, all 3 deer.
That's the way I like to hunt!


2 comments:

Sherie said...

EW... gross is right. And I'm with you...get'er done, and be done with it!

Allison said...

I for one am glad I scrolled down! Seriously though that eye popping thing made me gag a little, but in a fun way ;)