Monday, June 18, 2012

Catching bugs

Before summer break even started, the kids and I chose some things we wanted to do to keep us busy. My intent was to make a cute list so we could check each thing off, but that never happened. One of the things on our list was to go to the river and catch whatever we could find. My kids love this kind of stuff, so I knew it would be tons of fun. 
We went to the dollar store and bought some nets; grabbed a big empty container I had been keeping for something, and headed down to the park. 
[I told my kids I used to catch crawdads in this river, but they didn't believe me. It's true!! I was their same age, and we did it almost every day.]
As soon as we got down the hill, Noah spotted some baby frogs, so they immediately started catching those. Even Lexie wanted in on it. I was just fine taking the pictures :)


She did not like the 'swamp' touching her though!!

Noah saw a little crawdad and was determined to catch it. 
And he did!!
They all thought that was pretty cool!


I just realized in this picture, Noah looking at the bushes. 
He kept saying he could hear something over there. I never heard it so kinda just shrugged it off.
A little bit later, Noah was in the water, I was on the side, and we both spotted a snake!
Uh...we tried our best to stay out of the water after that. I didn't know what kind it was, and I wouldn't know if it was poisonous or not. 
We were all a little bit leary of everything afterwards.
Hence the walking on dry land in the open!!

After a while, Lexie and I were done with the heat.
We loaded up the container of about 50 baby frogs, a few tadpoles, a crawdad, and a partridge in a pear tree...and went to the shade!



 But the boys weren't done. They carried that container full of creatures back down by the river and caught a few more.


When it was time to leave, Cutler, of course, wanted to bring 'just one' frog home.
 Before we even got there I said the only rule was that we could catch however much we wanted, but nothing was coming home with us. They all agreed, but when the time came to go home, that wasn't such an easy thing to agree to. 
This really was so much fun. 
I'm pretty sure we'll be doing it again and again!!

1 comment:

The Millers said...

How fun! I never took my kids down to the river ... though my boys all went with friends. I kind of regret it, they would have loved it. And don't you love how your kids will agree to anything before you go somewhere and then it all goes out the window when it's time to leave. That's definitely my favorite - it tries my patience every time!