Tuesday, November 17, 2009

I think it's safe!!?

It's been about a month now, so I think it's pretty safe to say...
 Miracles really do Happen! Dreams really do come True!!

Cutler is potty trained!

Someone once told me that one day he would just start going all by himself. There was no way in the world, after all the time it was taking, I believed it. But...one day I was running some errands, and the kids were home with Colby. When I got back he told me that while he was doing whatever it was he was doing, Cutler left and he couldn't find him. He was looking all over, and he finally found him in the bathroom, sitting on the toilet. And he's never looked back! He still wears a pull-up at night, but we still let him have his sippy to go to sleep (super bad habit - don't ever do it!) He's only had 2 accidents.
I just can't believe it's finally happened. I thought the kid would go to Kindergarten in a diaper. Honestly. What I think has helped though is him being in school and watching the other kids go on their own. And, the day before Colby found him on the toilet I took Cutler to the dollar store and bought a package of beads. When we got home I got out 2 jars - one empty, one full of beads. I told him that each time he went pee in the toilet he could put a bead in the jar, and 2 beads for pooping. If he had an accident he had to take the same amount of beads out for whatever accident it was. Also, because he likes to watch so much t.v., I made it so that he had to pay for a show with a bead. If he had too many accidents and there weren't any beads, then there was no t.v. And once he got 20 beads he got a new toy, his choice.
I don't really know what actually did the trick, but whatever it was it worked!!

4 comments:

Lindsey R said...

Tiff...you crack me up! I've had the same problem with my little Colby. This gives me hope! He's peed a few times in the potty and pooped once. He just has NO interest.. But I love the idea of the beads and the jars...I think I'm gonna try it!! Thanks for the tip and Congrats!

Elisa said...

lol. Rock on! Potty training really does suck. It's nice to be on the other side of it.

Sherie said...

Zippity Do Dah..Zippity EH...OOOH What a WONDERFUL DAY!! I'm cheering right along with you and Cutler...such a HUGE accomplishment! smiles all around:)

stefanie said...

Happy, happy day!! Good job Cutler buddy!
I love the jar idea Tiff! I'll be using that with miss reese for sure!