Thursday, April 30, 2009

Another sleep-walker???

A couple of nights ago Cutler gave us the biggest scare of our lives. We were all asleep, he had been in our room once already, and a few hours later Noah came in. I was totally out and didn't hear anything. Noah was claiming that he heard doors closing. Colby was blaming Noah, saying that he closed the door when he was coming into our room. Noah said he didn't and he was not about to go back into his room. He wanted to sleep on our floor, but we're mean and don't allow kids to sleep in our room.
Colby went and checked the house for Noah, and while doing so wondered how Cutler was doing because Noah was being so noisy. He looked on his bed but couldn't see him. So he started looking around the room - (Cutler falls out of bed almost every night, who knows where he'll end up) - but he was nowhere. Colby came back into our room and made me get out of bed and almost to the door before he told me he couldn't find Cutler. I started freaking out. I ran into the boys' room and sure enough Cutler wasn't in bed.
**This has seriously always been one of my biggest fears - when I go to check on my child he/she won't be in their bed. I'm always so worried that someone is going to break into my house and kidnap one of them. Hence the reason I was a sucker and bought a house alarm from a door salesman.
Back to the story. I kept thinking about Colby & Noah's conversation and about doors opening. Maybe Cutler went outside, maybe he's sleepwalking, he could be anywhere. But the alarm would have went off if one of the outside doors would have opened. Then Colby asked me if I set the alarm. I got nervous thinking I didn't and that maybe someone really did come in our house. I looked to make sure it was set, and it was.
I started going to every room in the house, turning on all the lights, looking under and around everything. Where could this boy be? He wasn't anywhere. I was starting to panic when I noticed the bathroom door was closed. I specifically open it every night to let it air out because there's no window in it. I carefully opened the door, and there he was. Laying on the floor, asleep.
I picked him up and hugged him. It seriously felt like he had been lost. I took him back to bed, and that was our night. I think I layed in bed for about 20 minutes waiting for my heart to settle down.
This sleep-walking business is really getting to me. It creeps me out not knowing if the boys are awake or not. I hope this is just a phase and that they both grow out of it before too long.

6 comments:

Jenny said...

That would make me crazy! I have a fear that someone will break in and still my babies too (at least we are not alone). Hopefully it does not last too much longer.

Kiesha said...

I would have been freaking out too!! I have always worried about that myself. I get up in the middle of the night sometimes and wait to listen on the monitor to make sure I can hear Dav! Hopefully he isn't a sleep walker! I'm glad Cutler wasn't too far!

Sherie said...

That seriously gave me heart palps when you told me this story...oh dear.

Morgan said...

That is my biggest fear too. I am so glad he didn't wander off any further than the bathroom! I too got suckered in by a cute RM salesman last summer. I don't regret it, I like the security.

The McGraths said...

Oh my goodness! That would freak me out too! Glad you have have an alarm system for both people coming in and going out! My goodness!

Lindsey R said...

WOW Tiff...what a story. That is the worst feeling in the world! I've had the happen but it was during the day and couldn't find Colby anywhere in the house...all my family was over and we spent 10 minutes searching for him inside and out. Finally, my bro-in-law Ryan found him in one of our showers with the curtain closed (we never use that bathroom). I thought I was gonna have a nervous breakdown. Sorry such a long story, but I know how you felt.