Saturday, May 24, 2014

One day post Shunt placement

Quick update…
Colby is feeling pretty good. He hasn't noticed symptoms change much though. Mostly just a little blurred vision. From the ct scan this morning they learned that the ventricles have not changed. Hasn't gotten worse, hasn't gotten better. Which isn't the best news but the dr.'s ok with it. They ordered an X-ray to check the shunt and make sure it's placement is right. Sometimes it gets coiled up and they have to go in and fix it. So...the X-ray looked good, it's not coiled up but now we don't know why it's not draining. Dr. thinks maybe it just might need more time to drain. He's getting up a little on his own and eating some  He has been moved out of ICU and is in a normal room. The dr. says more than likely we'll be out tomorrow but can't go home. 300 miles is too far to be in case something happens. And I'm ok with it. I don't want to get there and something happen. Scary!! Again, thank you for your prayers!! It's amazing the love we feel!! Every time if hear that someone else wants to do something for us I just cry!! Thank you!! Thank you!! We love all of you more than we can even express. 

You know, we were already coming up north this weekend? Noah had a baseball tournament. We were already coming. Just not in the middle of the night. And not dropping our kids off not knowing when we would see them again, and what was really going to take place. I told Noah I would try and make it down to at least one of the games. He played 2 on friday, and 2 today. I didn't make it down yesterday. I just couldn't leave the hospital. Makayla and Cory took the rest of the kids and watched. I am so thankful for family that just drops their plans and things they need to do, to take care of my family. On Saturday, I couldn't leave either. Rob and Kristen went down and watched the first game, then Brett and Julie went down and watched his second. Everyone I talked to said Noah played his heart out. I'm sure he did! I'm sure he took his frustration out on those games. And I'm glad he did!! After the last game Brett & Julie brought Noah back up to the hospital so he could see that Colby was going to be ok. Noah is the type that needs to see for himself what's going on. He needs to know. It was so good for him to see his dad awake, hooked up to machines, but still his dad. AND…Noah told us he got the game ball!! Coach text me and said he'd never seen Noah play so hard. I felt horrible that I didn't make it down to watch him, but I am SO proud of how he played!!

Colby had a room full of visitors today…all day. My parents came over with Mason after he had a nap, Doug & Janet, Brett & Julie, Kristen & Rob all were here. It was good times. Mason especially like the view from Colby's room. The Life Flight Helicopter pad was right below his room.



I just want to talk about Dr. Tippetts. He is Dr. Reichman's partner. Dr. R can't do surgery right now because of an injury, so he had Dr. T take care of Colby. When we met with him yesterday morning before Colby was admitted, I thought he was crazy. And he kind of is! But he is awesome! Amazing!! He explains everything just the way I need him to. And if I ask him something twice, he doesn't care. He explains it again. I'm sure he understands that I'm not a brain surgeon and don't know the first thing about brains. I can only imagine he deals with my type on a daily basis. He is full of expression. That's the only way I can describe him. His eyebrows go way up and he gets loud, or he crunches them and talks like he's mad. But there's something about him, he cares. He puts his arm around me and tells me I'm strong, and he knows this is hard, and that I'm dealing with it very well. Of course I don't feel that at all! But he makes me feel so good, and comforted. I am SO incredibly grateful for modern medicine, and those who are willing to be educated enough to be able to take care of such an important organ. 

No comments: