Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Road rash

*If you've ever been on my street, you know that the kids pretty much rule it. We live on a street that has a cul de sac at one end, so most of the traffic lives here and knows that kids are always out there.
Most of the time the kids are on one of the following, but not limited to:
wiggle car, scooter, bike, or power wheel.

Last night I was making dinner while the kids were out playing.
Cutler and one of his little friends were driving the friends 'car' (power wheel).
Apparently, Lexie was holding on to the back of it...dragging.
Yes, dragging behind them.
In the road.
Oh.My.
It seriously makes my legs hurt just thinking about it.

*If you don't want to read the whole story, skip down to the pictures.
So I'm making dinner and hear Lexie coming up the sidewalk to the door, crying.
But not screaming. Like I didn't know it was an 'I'm hurt' cry.
She comes in the house with Noah, and he says she's bleeding.
So then she's crying saying I'm bleeding.
But when she says she's bleeding, sometimes it's like the tiniest scratch. You know?
So I come around the corner just as Colby says Oh Tiffany. Like, this is bad.
She turns around and is holding her shorts up so they don't touch the blood.
Her knees were bright red. Skinned and looked like hamburger.
I almost cried with her. It was so sad. And there's not much  you can do about it.
Clean it up and bandage it. So that's what we did. But it was so sad.
She sat at the sink and held the wet paper towels up to her knees while I hugged her.
We bandaged her up and gave her some tylenol.
She was tramatized. Literally. As soon as we were done she fell asleep for about an hour.

Today they look a little better. A little.


Don't judge the bandaging. This picture was taken after sleeping all night, the tape wouldn't stick anymore, and the bandage had unfolded and was all skiwampas-like.
The bandage on the left dried to the wound. I've tried to get it off, we've held a wet washcloth to it, to try and soak it. She's not about to sit in the tub. Not quite sure what to do. Reagan? Help. Please.
Today she had dance, but since she won't walk, I told her she can't go. She was fine with that.
She has literally made me carry her everywhere today. Until about 3:30.
Needless to say, she pretty much hung out in my bed all day.

Right after this happened last night I was trying to get the whole story. Like why didn't someone stop the car? Noah said he was yelling at them to stop but they wouldn't. I told him if he ever sees something like this to run over there and stop it himself if he has to. Pull the driver out if that's what it takes. This morning I asked Cutler again, Were you in the car while she was dragging. He answered yes. I asked him why they didn't stop. He said they didn't know she was there.
Those cars really are loud when you're driving them. Trust me. I've driven one:)
But I'm not totally buying that they didn't hear her. She was only a foot behind them.

I'm pretty sure my kids now understand why I always get mad at them when they're pulling someone around. Even if they know they're there. I've always known this would happen to someone.
Just hoped it wouldn't ever be one of my kids.

6 comments:

Kiesha said...

OuCH! I can't believe she wasn't screaming..I would have been! Poor girl! I hope they get better soon.

Makayla & Cory Curtis said...

That is the sadest thing ever. Poor Lexie.

.mel. said...

OUCH! sad.

Phill, Allie, and kids said...

Oh my gosh that makes me cringe. OUCH!

Sherie said...

SAD! XO hugs from gramma

tammylozano said...

Ouch they look sore as heck poor girl.. She is so sweet