Monday, September 7, 2009

A dream vacation

A couple of weeks ago Colby got to go on a dream vacation to Alaska, fishing for a whole week. (Having a father-in-law who does this for a living is nice.) His brother-in-law, Rob, went with him and they had a great time.
Here's Colby with their guide on the first day. They were on the Kenai in a drift boat and he caught this red salmon.They also caught Dolly Varden
They got to fish for Halibut. This isn't all theirs, but it's still alot. The middle fish is 130 lbs.
One day they did a fly-out, to a remote lake and caught red, and silver salmon.

Colby's favorite fish of all to catch, Rainbow Trout. (I didn't know you had to go to Alaska to catch these.) This one was 10 lbs.
On the last day they caught Silver Salmon. (it looks red to me, but I'm no fisherman.) Oh, this one isn't to the end of it's life cycle yet. When they get to the end they turn red.

He's been home for a week now, and it's been nice to finally have someone to help once again. I warned him that he may not have 3 kids when he got back, but we survived. And we're all glad he's home!

3 comments:

The McGraths said...

How fun! Jared would be so jealous! What is it with men and Alaska? I don't get it... freezin' my butt off while I rough it is NOT my idea of a vacay! Give me a beach and some sun!!
PS- the red salmon is sooo ugly! hahaha

Elisa said...

I really don't get the whole fishing thing, but I know many people who LOVE it! So good for him. Everyone deserves a few dream vacations!

Sherie said...

Oh Colby the fisherman...I'm glad he and Rob had a good time...those are some mighty nice fish....taking up all kinds of room in my deep freeze.:)